Did you know that just before Fall begins is the best time to start cool season veggies from seed? Many veggies can easily be grown from seed and replanted for continuous succession. Here are the top 5 to grow in August:
1. Lettuce – lettuce is SO EASY and abundant to grow from seed. This is one veggie that won’t need to buy from the grocery store, just get started now!
2. Carrots – one of those overlooked veggies, homegrown carrots are so much tastier and more tender than store bought. The trick with these guys is to always plant them with lettuce or tomatoes (season permitting). It is really easy to just sprinkle some carrot seeds around or with lettuce seeds. Don’t worry about rows!
3. Beets – another overlooked veggie in the home garden. Beets, like carrots, can be grown almost all year round in our climate. Again, plant with lettuce so they are happier.
4. Broccolini aka Broccoli Raab – this nutritious and little known cool season veggie is so easy to grow from seed. It is not a picky plant and can be grown in close quarters in the ground or in containers. Once you get a few started, they will produce through spring!
5. Spinach – have you had a hard time growing it? You are probably growing it in the wrong season! Spinach loves cool seasons and bolts during the few months prior to summer solstice but grown now shouldn’t bolt for you. Plant and replant August through March and harvest as needed.